Coding: Should Every Digital Marketer Learn This?
Technological advancements in the digital marketing space are increasing at a rapid pace, and that means getting up to speed on the latest digital trends is more important than ever. It’s no longer about knowing your social media or analytics tools but also about learning the tools and languages that let you quickly create solutions for your business.
As digital marketers, are we required to know and learn coding?
The answer to this question can either be “yes” or “no.” While many brands and digital marketers have made the leap to more visual, data-driven practices, there are still more that continue to stick to traditional methods. The challenge is finding the right balance between staying relevant and modern and staying true to the brand.
Learning the Important Coding Skills
Do you know what the secret is to a successful digital marketing career? You need to know your way around the command line, and the only way you’re going to get there is through some serious coding skills. These aren’t just for those programmers out there, though. Everyone who’s in charge of making digital marketing campaigns work knows that understanding the inner workings of the code is key to success.
Here are the following coding skills that you should learn:
• Understand programming concepts — one of the most important skills every marketer should develop is a solid understanding of programming. It can help produce higher-quality content, make it easier to capture leads, and improve the way you interact with clients. Programming is an essential skill for a digital marketer. It allows you to show a business how a product or service can improve its bottom line and generate revenue. A digital marketer must be able to code, or at least understand, what coding is.
• Data Analysis — Data analysis is the most important coding skill that every digital marketer should know. Why? Because data analysis can be used to help make sense of marketing data, which in turn can help digital marketers better understand what makes their marketing campaigns successful and what can be improved.
• HTML — HTML is one of the most important skills any digital marketer needs to master. HTML (HyperText Markup Language) is a markup language that allows us, the HTML editor, to create web pages. HTML is the structure behind websites like Facebook, Google, Twitter, and LinkedIn, to name a few. HTML is what allows content, like text, images, and videos, to appear on your web pages. It is the foundation of what makes up a website. It allows users to access all the features of your website, from the search bar to the contact form.
• Data visualization — In today’s age of data, every marketer needs to visualize data in a meaningful way. Data visualizations are one of the most important skills that every digital marketer should learn. They enable marketers to ‘think visually’ about their data and provide a quick way to discover insights from it.
• Scripting — It’s an important skill that can help you accelerate the various tasks you’ll need to do as a coder, and it’s one that’s often left out of the learning curve. In this week’s article, we’re going to tell you all you need to know to get started, from the difference between scripting and programming, to what you can do with it.
All digital marketers need to be capable of coding in one way or another. This could be the case if you are trying to find your audience on Facebook or looking to build a basic WordPress website. There are many resources on the internet that can help you code, and a good place to start is looking for a free course about coding on various course providers.