16 May WannaCry Ransomware software that rocked the world, How to protect your computer
For sure you have heard about the WannaCry Ransomeware attack that affected computers in more than 104 countries around the world.
What is Ransomware?
In general, ransomware is a malicious software that locks your device and not just that, encrypts your files as well. This is not just about your computer only, it can affect your tablet or smartphone and then demands a ransom to unlock it.
What is WannaCry Ransomware?
WannaCry ransomware attacks windows based machines. It leverages a vulnerability in Windows machines to attack and inject the malware. All versions of windows before Windows 10 are vulnerable to this attack.
When your computer is affected, it encrypts files and shows a pop up with a countdown and instructions on how to pay the 300$ in bitcoins to decrypt and get back the original files.
Now, What can you do to prevent infection?
– Microsoft has released a Windows security patch MS17-010 for Windows operating systems before Windows 10. This needs to be applied immediately and urgently.
– Avoid clicking on links or opening attachments or emails from people you don’t know or companies you don’t do business with.
– Update your antivirus applications to the latest version.
– Have a pop-up blocker running on your web browser.
– Backup your important files to any external storage device or a cloud storage Like Dropbox or Google Drive.
– You can disable the vulnerability manually by following a few simple steps:
- Open Control Panel.
- Select Programs and Features.
- Then select Turn Windows features on or.
Look for the SMB 1.0 / CIFS File Sharing Support option and uncheck that box next to it.